Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Don't Be Afraid of the Dark Remake: The Real Scoop



Imagine the jaw-dropping horror that ensued when I read that Jerry O’Connell was going to star in the remake of Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark. Seriously, the obnoxious actor from Joe’s Apartment is slated to play Jim Hutton’s befuddled character in the small screen classic?

Well, no, actually.

Turns out I misread that little tidbit (and it inspired the Remakes Schremakes piece) , although I was correct that they are remaking Don’t. Guillermo del Toro co-wrote and will produce and Katie Holmes will star. Granted, hiring beautiful, poised tabloid fodder would not be my first choice as Darby’s replacement, but I’m not too upset about the remake. For one, it’s a bona fide obscure classic. Second, it’s made for television and while so many remake supporters say these “re-imaginings” bring attention to smaller genre films, most remakes are of movies even non-horror fans are pretty familiar with. So, if it shines a light on the television film, one of the most oft-maligned genres, than more power to them. The story itself is already radically changed, according to IMDb:

A young girl sent to live with her father and his new girlfriend discovers creatures in her new home who want to claim her as one of their own.



It also doesn’t hurt that this movie is being done by del Toro. Recently, I was reading the script review of the Nightmare on Elm Street remake at Retro Slashers, written by my fellow contributor BodyCounter, and he pointed out that the great remakes (The Fly and The Thing) were remade by visionaries. If del Toro isn’t a true visionary than I don’t know who is. I think if anyone can capture the claustrophobic fantastical home invasion fear of Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark, it’s him.

2011 is some time from now, but I’m already eagerly counting the days!

And I can’t believe I just said that, but it’s true!


No comments: